This job's application deadline has expired.
Bemis Company is a major supplier of flexible packaging and pressure sensitive materials used by leading food, consumer products, healthcare, and other companies worldwide. Founded in 1858, the Company is included in the S&P 500 index of stocks and reported 2013 net sales of $5.0 billion. The Company's flexible packaging business has a strong technical base in polymer chemistry, film extrusion, coating and laminating, printing, and converting. Headquartered in Neenah, Wisconsin, Bemis employs nearly 19,000 individuals worldwide. More information about the Company is available at our website, www.bemis.com.
Supports the Bemis Joplin facility business by effectively overseeing the equipment, materials and employees on an assigned shift. Effective oversight includes safe and efficient operations according to established procedures, specifications and customer requirements. In addition, this individual is assigned to lead the shift in a positive manner, communicates departmental issues to others as required, and support and facilitate changes needed to sustain and move the business forward.
- Acts as a safety leader and puts safety first in all responsibilities
- Ensures employees are properly trained in safety procedures, including PPE, MMI exceptions, MMI tools and provides oversight for the safe operation of the shift, including preparing and conducting shift safety meetings.
- Assigns and directs work activities on his/her shift to meet production schedules, maintain quality standards and assure appropriate work distribution among the employees on his/her shift.
- Coordinates with Production Schedulers to most effectively utilize available equipment and manpower. Re-assigns resources as needed to best meet customer needs. Establishes effective coordination and communication of the production schedule to maintain on-time and complete deliveries.
- Ensures that crews are performing QA testing required for all production jobs on the shift.
- Evaluates equipment and material problems and interacts with Partners, Process Leaders, and Department heads to ensure timely resolution of issues.
- Assists with troubleshooting and resolution on quality issues, and notifies Process Leaders, Ops. Planning, and Department heads when necessary, utilizing a Standardized Downtime Reaction Plan.
- Administers established rules and regulations in a fair and equitable manner; and resolves employee problems at their earliest state. Leader will promote the use of conflict resolution.
- Ensures that all paperwork issued on assigned shift is accurate and timely-production reports, SOC's, line clearance, verification forms time sheets, maintenance work orders, vacation requests, shift trades, probationary employee evaluations, overtime lists, hold tickets, and accident reports.
- Audits completion of shift production reports and verification sheets.
- Oversees shift productivity with responsibility for meeting department targets, and ensures standardized work processes are followed and utilized.
- Manages shift Production Output/Waste incidents/5S/TPM/Product Safety and ensures completion of product safety inspections, audits and checklists.
- Responsible for all department visual management systems being current and utilized.
- Accepts responsibility for the use of GMP's on the shift.
- Supervises Operation Partners, Supervisory responsibilities include personnel and machine assignments, training and orientation of employees, providing coaching and motivation when necessary and verbal or written recognition for significant accomplishments, employee counseling, and attendance program -and, in general, the promotion and maintenance of high morale and productivity.
- Manages a program for department training and cross-training for each shift, including safety training, laboratory training, annual mandatory training and work instruction training. Utilizes internal programs and manufacturing specialist to ensure training is completed to standard.
- Ensures the timely and accurate completion of all necessary records - employee evaluations and other relevant documents necessary to evaluate employee performance.
- Trained in Emergency Response, serve on Emergency Response Team, and acts as Incident Commander when necessary.
- Supports WCOM initiatives on the floor. Coaches Continuous Improvement at machine center in WCOM/Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma to identify root causes, corrective actions, and develop implementation plan.
- Manages daily operation of Kronos Time clock system. Accurately approve and correct individua'ls time and attendance with documented notes in system.
- An Associates degree is preferred or equivalent years of education and experience.
- 5-7 years of manufacturing experience preferrably in a printing/ flexible packaging industry
- 3-5 years experience in a leadership role.
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills in a team based environment, including participation in the Leadership Program, leading by example and dealing with individuals at all level in a fair and respectable manner.
- Willingness to act as a role model displaying a high degree of integrity and ethics. Must have the ability to interact and manage conflict in stressful situations without losing his/her composure.
- Willingness and courage to make the right decisions for the business and the employees.
- Must be willing to accept responsibility and accountability for the proper operation of the shift.
- Must understand and value people as the most important organizational asset.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of machine capabilities within the Shift department, Material specifications, waste and quality standards, and safety requirements.
- Should be familiar with Curwood organization to effect appropriate communications, supervisory, trouble shooting and decision making skills.
- Knowledge of World Class Manufacturing/WCOM Principles or a willingness to gain such knowledge is necessary.
- Leadership skills including written, verbal and group presentation skills. Knowledge of manufacturing techniques, policies and procedures for the facility.
- Must be willing to work a 12 hour shift, rotating from nights to days every 4 weeks.