This job's application deadline has expired.
Bemis Company is a major supplier of flexible packaging and pressure sensitive materials used by leading food, consumer products, healthcare, and other companies worldwide. Founded in 1858, the Company is included in the S&P 500 index of stocks and reported 2013 net sales of $5.0 billion. The Company's flexible packaging business has a strong technical base in polymer chemistry, film extrusion, coating and laminating, printing, and converting. Headquartered in Neenah, Wisconsin, Bemis employs nearly 19,000 individuals worldwide. More information about the Company is available at our website, www.bemis.com.
To provide technical assistance to production value stream(s), including continuous improvements in EHS, quality, productivity, troubleshooting, cost reduction, and operator engagement. Value stream processes include multilayer coextrusion of blown film, cast film, and sheet; thermoforming; roll finishing; moisturizing; wax coating; and various auxiliary processes.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe conditions and behaviors. Creates and revises Task Safety Analyses. Monitors 5S and housekeeping activities. Monitors and improves product quality. Resolves quality issues and dispositions quarantined product. Researches assignable causes of customer complaints and works closely with customers to resolve and prevent quality issues. Regularly visits customers and coordinates operator visits to customers.
- Establishes and maintains standard operating conditions, procedures, and daily reporting requirements.
- Routinely audits operators' standard work to ensure compliance and to identify opportunities.
- Troubleshoots and provides technical assistance as part of a help chain.
- Identifies and resolves daily production problems, engaging production personnel in corrective actions and coordinating with other functional areas throughout the facility and beyond (R&D, product development, Sales, customer technical service, etc.)
- Monitors and adjusts production schedules to optimize daily results.
- Identifies opportunities and determines process capabilities through the use of statistical methods. Establishes goals and continuous improvement action plans. Prioritizes activities within the value stream.
- Engages and assists operators daily by establishing and maintaining visual management tools.
- Plans and implements equipment repairs and improvements, coordinating major equipment downs with planning and maintenance. Enters maintenance work orders.
- Completes expected VSE Standard Work, including safety training, safety observations, quality observations, 5S audits, whiteboard audits, whiteboard updates, weekend notes, employee recognition, and complaint responses.
- Initiates and justifies capital projects.
- Prepares and presents technical training. Conducts classroom training sessions. Assesses operator skills attainment. Prioritizes training activities.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to improve EHS, quality, and productivity. Employs disciplined problem-solving methods. Leads or serves on at least one WCOM project at all times, and reports progress monthly.
- Provides backup support to other value streams, and coordinates improvements with peers.
- Investigates and appropriately addresses operator performance issues.
- Stays abreast of and evaluates innovations in equipment, techniques, and materials.
- Plans and conducts trials of machines, materials, and products. Assists product development efforts and fosters strong relationships to help build the business.
- Identifies and achieves significant operational improvements and cost savings. Meets regularly with managers to plan strategic priorities and to coordinate progress.
- Selects and develops new team members, co-op engineers, and leadpersons.
- BS degree in Engineering related field with one to three years of relevant manufacturing experience required.
- Knowledge and experience in extrusion and converting operations or related field.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, in order to work with customers, suppliers, and others at all levels throughout the organization.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently to achieve desired results.
- Ability to use various computer applications in daily work.
- Solid knowledge of engineering concepts and practices, and a basic understanding of organic and polymer chemistry.
- Green Belt certification, equivalent Lean-Six Sigma/WCOM or other continuous improvement training, or a demonstrated ability to gain such certification.
- Knowledge and understanding of converting processes (especially polymer extrusion and web handling), or the ability and interest to learn them.
- Time management and personal organization skills, including the ability to manage several short and long-term projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work flexible hours to support troubleshooting and projects.
- Ability to train, coach, mentor, and lead others, and to foster teamwork.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Disability and Vet Employer