This job's application deadline has expired.
Bemis Company is a major supplier of flexible packaging and pressure sensitive materials used by leading food, consumer products, healthcare, and other companies worldwide. Founded in 1858, the Company is included in the S&P 500 index of stocks and reported 2012 net sales of $5.1 billion.
The Company's flexible packaging business has a strong technical base in polymer chemistry, film extrusion, coating and laminating, printing, and converting. Headquartered in Neenah, Wisconsin, Bemis employs nearly 20,000 individuals worldwide. More information about the Company is available at our website, www.bemis.com.
To manage the maintenance function of the plant to include oversight of production equipment, site utilities and grounds keeping. Leads initiatives to promote behaviors and actions conducive with EHS and continuous improvement. Directly supervises Maintenance Supervisor(s), Maintenance Administrator, and all hourly maintenance personnel.
Directs the activities of plant mechanics, machinists, electricians, electronic technicians, stockroom personnel and contractors in a manner that ensures a safe, cost efficient operation with minimal production downtime due to equipment deficiencies.
Essential Job Duties:
- Acts as a safety leader and puts safety first in all responsibilities.
- Manages the repair and maintenance of buildings and grounds to ensure safe working conditions, compliance with building codes, optimum land and building values and a well-kept facility to include:
-Working with all applicable parties to ensure site security, fire and emergency systems are fully operational with periodic inspections made and documented.
-Working with all applicable parties to ensure adequate utility resources (gas, water, electricity, etc) for operational needs.
-Working with all applicable parties to ensure compliance with environmental and hazardous waste removal standards and reporting requirements.
-Managing the snow removal program for the plant.
- Oversees the repair and improvement of all production and non-production equipment by Maintenance personnel and contractors. Works to minimize both planned and unplanned outages of all production and support equipment. Ensures machine repairs are completed in a timely and competent manner through proper communications and follow-up with all applicable parties.
- Originates, recommends and/or implements preventative maintenance programs and improvement modifications for plant equipment and facilities. Maintains accurate and timely records/ reports relative to all projects and equipment within the plant. Compiles operational and personnel records to include time and production records, inventory data, repair and maintenance statistics, test results, etc., to aid in making data driven decisions.
- Takes a lead position in the implementation of 6S maintenance based initiatives. Serves as the WCM (World Class Manufacturing) Maintenance Pillar team lead. The Maintenance Pillar works to promote and successfully implement continuous improvement maintenance initiatives throughout the facility. These initiatives are often done in association with other WCM Pillar teams.
- Ensures all employees under direction adhere to established work rules and safety policies. Responsible for being knowledgeable on and enforcing all applicable corporate, division and/or plant rules/policies/procedures, labor contract specifications, and good manufacturing practices. Supports all applicable federal and state employment laws.
- Manages department personnel including, but not limited to, performance evaluations, recognition, discipline, training, payroll approval and selection. Oversees employee training needs; works to remedy training deficiencies by recommending/initiating appropriate plans of action.
- Manages department expenses for cost effectiveness to include overtime and stock room inventories.
- Oversees/directs work activities of maintenance technicians and stock room personnel in a manner to provide high level of work performance through the utilization of an efficient work order system.
- Oversees the purchase, storage, repair and management of spare parts
- Ensures the safe, efficient coordination of plant shutdowns and startups.
- Provides technical advice and training to subordinates and production personnel on equipment matters relating to performance, quality, maintenance and safety.
- Regular work attendance; attendance at all company mandated meetings.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering, or related technical field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Greater emphasis will be placed upon the level of supervisory and technical skill experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a flexible packaging or similar manufacturing environment. Applicable supervisory/management experience required.
- A documented training record reflecting external/internal seminars and/or courses in management, supervision, applicable manufacturing processes, safety, etc.
- Six Sigma or WCOM Foundations certification or a willingness to gain such certifications.
- Strong management skills to ensure project coordination and effective department leadership.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and electronic crafts as related to poly film extrusion and converting equipment. Basic knowledge of packaging and extrusion equipment desirable.
- Working knowledge of safety, security and fire control systems and their appropriate government regulations and contacts.
- High level of analytical, planning, organization, supervisory, administrative and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form with all levels within the organization both in a group setting and one on one. Must exhibit the interpersonal skills to effectively interact with manufacturing, suppliers and engineering groups.
- Good basic mathematical skills; interpret and utilize various units of measure and their conversions.
- Adept at troubleshooting and ability to set direction.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills to handle multiple responsibilities at once.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including holidays, based upon plant needs. May require the need to be "on-call" outside of normal working hours.
- Good working knowledge of computers, computer technology, purchasing procedures, facilities management and software (MSOffice, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Good organizational and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to tolerate heights (accessing heights via ladders, scissor lifts, etc.).
- Involves considerate walking throughout various areas of the plant when issues or problems arise that require management involvement.
- Climbing ladders to access rooftops or confined spaces may be required to evaluate problems and to make recommendations.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds
- Occasional kneeling and squatting
- Heat tolerance: Summer temperatures can reach 115 degrees on production floor and up to 140 degrees at elevations closer to the roof.
- Regular exposure to production noises and odors ranging from moderate to high.
- Frequent need to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to work hours necessary to fulfill the needs of the job. Overtime work and occasional weekend and/or holiday work may be required. May require the need to be "on-call" outside of normal working hours
World Class Manufacturing
This position supports Bemis Company's focus on a World Class Manufacturing environment where all employees support operational processes by providing strategy, performance improvement, and the development of human resources through skill and knowledge.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer